Monday, September 14, 2015

Eating Healthy in the Cafeteria

In the spirit of school starting, I thought it would be a great time to discuss cafe food. We all know it, freshman year we all loved it, sophomore year we all hated it, and junior and senior year we all missed it when we moved off of campus (only because it was free).
free food.gif


We all know cafe food is not always the most appetizing or the most healthiest, but we continue to indulge anyway. We just trick ourselves into thinking our greasy pizza slice with a side of even greasier deep fried french fries and large root beer float (all in which we get 2nds and 3rds) are just apart of the normal college diet.
what is diet.gif


But, not to worry! I’m going to give you some healthy eating tips I used to follow when I would go eat in the cafe. If you want to prevent that freshman 15 from turning into sophomore 20, just follow along.
you might want to listen.gif


Tip 1: I would only allow myself to drink one glass of juice each day. This was a way to ensure that I drank tons of water rather than indulging in the unlimited flow of Hawaiian Punch.
unlimited juice.gif


Tip 2: I would go for the grilled options instead of fried. For obvious reasons, grilled is always healthier than fried. (I’m not counting my pile of french fries or those days where fried shrimp was being served and I would get 2nds. Don’t judge, I’m a work in progress.)
eating french fries.gif


Tip 3: I limited myself to dessert only on the weekends. With the unlimited amount of dessert from donuts, ice cream, cake, cupcakes, and more it's hard not to go overboard, which is why I had to put a limit on these sugary things.
happy dessert.gif


Tip 4: I aimed at eating two out of three meals from the salad bar. The salad bar had multiple salad options from the base to the toppings as well as different soup options. i love salad.gif


Tip 5: I made sure to practice portion control. You have to be careful not to always go back for that fifth plate of nachos or a plate stacked to the ceiling just because you can.
eating a lot.gif
Tip 6: I always went for the whole grain, low fat, gluten free options. Most universities offer these options in their cafeterias due to their diversified student body.
no sugar no carbs free water.gif


I know it's hard to stay strong when their is a smargage board of unlimited food just waiting for you, but remember not to overindulge and you’ll be just fine! We will get through the cafeteria temptations together.
all in this together.gif
-LisaLenora

No comments:

Post a Comment